Lymsleia's Reviews > Briar's Book

Briar's Book by Tamora Pierce

Feb 11, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2012

Rereading it, I'll say that this is pretty much my favourite book in the original Circle quartet. The first half especially is a love letter to healers, to doctors, to caretakers of any kind, and the second half is much the same for researchers and scientists trying to find cures. And aside from that, it just an incredibly engaging story. It's more closely focused on Briar than the other books (especially the first two) were on their titular protagonists, but the girls are still there, are still very much part of Briar's life, even when he doesn't immediately realise that.

I think my biggest qualm with the book is its final chapter; without spoiling anything I felt like the thing that happened there was added mostly for the sake of a twist or, more accurately, for the sake of a more dramatic conclusion, but I just don't think it fit the world (and world building, or even the narrative, though the foreshadowing was there) very well.

But aside from that, I love it dearly: Briar and Rosethorn, and of course Tris, Daja and Sandry and their teachers, are as fun to read about as ever, even though "fun" seems to be the wrong word here, given the intense and all to real situation - an epidemic and an "enemy" as faceless as a disease - they face. Crane got some much-needed development and I really like where this book takes his character and the glimpses we get at who he is. (I also liked how the similarities between him and Tris get pointed out by the narrative when they interact. I like Crane for a lot of the reasons I love Tris: underneath it all, they care.)

So yeah, definitely another excellent read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Briar's Book.