Marc Johnson's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Louise Wise

Mar 24, 10

Read in March, 2010

In her book Eden, Louise Wise recreates the legendary place on a different world. To some, it’s a place of beautiful wildlife and golden waters. To others, it’s savage and dark with death around every corner.

Jenny, an astronaut commander who is left behind on Eden, is constantly torn between these two characteristics in Eden as well as the sole humanoid who inhabits the planet with her, Fly.

The most interesting thing is how Eden portrays both of these characteristics as being not mutually exclusive but as two sides of the same coin. In Fly, Jenny finds a protector that, at times, she is frightened of. Other times, she is both aroused and repulsed by him, both at the same time.

Although initially I thought that the book was dragging at times, I soon figured out that those times were necessary in order to properly set up the tension, which is particularly well manifested in the relationship that develops between Jenny and Fly.

Even at times where the tension hits its peak, Eden never seems to lose its humor and is quick to evoke a smile. The relationship between Jenny and the alien Fly is probably the most rewarding and feels just as human as any relationship that I have ever had.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.