Kristen's Reviews > The Fiddler's Gun

The Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson

Mar 24, 10

Read in March, 2010

Wow! I picked up "The Fiddler's Gun" at my friend's house and couldn't put it down after skimming the first five pages. This book made me wish for subway delays and long waits in the dental office so that I could be whisked away into Fin's world. I do not particularly like books about wars or pirates, and yet I was completely captivated by this story. Peterson hooked me with the initial subtle dash of Anne of Green Gables in the opening chapters. But really, it only took those first 5 pages for me to love and root for Fin. Fin is much rougher around the edges than Anne, of course, but the pledges she and Peter made to one another were enough to set me at sail on the Rattlesnake. I often didn't like where Fin headed, but my frustration only pointed to my care for this character. Not only are the characters (favorites are Fin, sweet Peter, Bart and Knut) wonderfully drawn but the writing itself is stunning. I underlined favorite, poetic phrases along the way and caught myself swooning at the beauty of the words melded together. "Sometimes we got to look in the dark to see how bright's the dawn."

I don't know how I'm going to wait months for the next installment. I will have to take up basket-weaving to distract myself. Seriously, it's not often you have the opportunity to read a new author in his debut novel and anticipate his next works with such excitement. I will enjoy sharing this book with everyone I know until Part 2 arrives. I guess we'll be weaving some beautiful baskets in the next months.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fiddler's Gun.