Liz's Reviews > Nanny Returns

Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin

Mar 24, 2010

liked it
Read in March, 2010

I read The Nanny when it first came out and was both horrified and fascinated by the stories of the upper class. The story continues in this book. Nanny married her Harvard Hottie and has spent the last twelve years traveling around the world with him while he works with the U.N. Now she's back in NYC trying to get work as a human resources consultant.

She's abruptly thrown back into the Xs lives when Grayer, her former charge, comes to her door in the middle of the night completely drunk. He's trying to figure out who she is and why his mother had a videotape of her saying goodbye to him. Trading on her guilt, he tricks her into playing Mrs. X, his mother, for one day. Grayer has been raising his little brother Shilton it seems and since his father has finally left his mother, Grayer wants to get Shilton into a boarding school so Grayer doesn't have to worry about leaving him once he's in college.

Unfortunately, Nanny once again get wrapped up in the Xs drama while dealing with her own work drame and house-she-was-going-to-fix-up-is-falling-down-around-her drama at the same time. And this time she's not getting paid.

The authors are former nannies of the Upper East Side families, so they know the ugly behind the scenes drama of these families. I have to say reading this book makes me actively despise the Upper East Side people. Gossip Girl is very popular, but this makes you want to slap each and every one of them. The children and parents alike.

It is a good story though and it is nice that the readers, like Nanny, get some closure. If you read the Nanny Diaries, I highly recommend picking this up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nanny Returns.