Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > White Night

White Night by Jim Butcher

Mar 24, 10

bookshelves: borrowed-reads, paranormal
Read in January, 2009

In White Night, a serial killer is targeting female magic practitioners in Chicago, making each death look like a suicide. Obviously, this is not something that “chivalrous” Harry Dresden can ignore. With the help of Sergeant Murphy, Harry does his best to win over the trust of the local witch community and track down the killer. His two suspects are troubling: a man in dressed in gray cloak that looks like a warden, and a tall handsome man that may be his half-brother Thomas. Harry soon realizes that there is a bigger cause behind the killings that simply a serial killer, a cause that will bring back old friends and foes, and throw him straight into the middle of White Court Vampire politics.

White Night is an exciting edition to The Dresden Files. I didn’t enjoy it as much as Proven Guilty or Dead Bead, the two previous installments. As much as I enjoy learning more about the White Court, I find them to be a less interesting set of villains then say, the faerie. At the same time, I couldn’t help being sucked in by the climatic ending, a lengthily battle sequence where Harry will have to use all of his wits to get out alive. I was also satisfied with the resolution of one of the major plot lines of the series (I won’t spoil which one). Also, I was happy to see a the return of a few old faces, primarily Harry’s ex Elaine, and Marcone the gangster, who I feel is one of the most fascinating characters in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Night.