Elizabeth H.'s Reviews > Faith & Fidelity

Faith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels

F 50x66
Thank goodness I stumbled across Tere Michaels and her series of three books. After reading some disappointing novels, I was ready for something really good, and I got it.

A definite and enthusiastic five stars for Faith and Fidelity. There's so much to like about this book, but to start I really like that the author tackles a difficult subject and doesn't flinch from it. These guys have no prior male/male experience or even desires. They tumble into love and lust without intention, without realizing what is happening. (One of the best lines is something about they didn't realize they were falling into love during their times together commiserating at the bar.) And Evan has four children! (While that burden/obstacle is not thoroughly addressed in Faith & Fidelity, it is in the third book, Duty & Devotion.)

I zoomed through the reading basically in one day and afterwards asked myself what was so compelling. It's hard for me to pinpoint it, but the characters felt totally real. While I would have liked a little longer in the friends/build-up portion of the book, still Michaels gives us more of that than most other authors.

I am thoroughly impressed with the way Evan's grief is conveyed. Michaels doesn't short-change it or undercut it in any way. His devotion to his wife is genuine and is never ignored even as the men come closer.

I *really* like the way the sex scenes are not full-blown. The encounters are really sexy without being tremendously explicit and without the guys going all the way immediately. Or even at all, as that's reserved for the later book.

If I had any criticism at all, it'd be that occasionally there's an authorial interpretation forced on the reader that does not exactly flow from events, but that's subtle and is open to interpretation. For me, it was there, and a minor hiccup that I also encountered in the other books.

Overall, one of the best male/male books I've read in ages. Kudos to Tere Michaels!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith & Fidelity.