Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Birds

Birds by Kevin Henkes

Mar 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, nature, non-fiction, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
Read on June 20, 2010

This is a book designed for the very young, for the preschooler. The cover didn’t wow me, but the first illustration with the robin and the pink flowers and the yellow curtains hooked me, and I enjoyed quite a few of the illustrations, but not all of them; some I didn’t appreciate much at all. However, though I was very disappointed when I noticed that Henkes did not do the illustrations for this book, it was the artwork that really made the book. The text is scanty, and although fine for young children interested in birds, it contains simple descriptions rather than any real narrative. However, this is a good introduction to birds and there is enough variety (of pictures and text) within to hold one’s attention. I was fascinated by birds when I was young, and I think kids will like this book, especially when they get to the little girl shown at the end and find they also can do two bird-like behaviors. My three and four year old self would have been captivated by this book and, as an adult, I appreciate that this new book has the simplicity most books had when I was young.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Birds.

11/13/2016 marked as: read

Lisa Vegan Oh, That's interesting. I enjoy it when couples can work together. Speaking of which, I should check to see if there are any new Pinkwater books.

Carmen Great review, Lisa! I liked this as well. :)

Lisa Vegan Carmen wrote: "Great review, Lisa! I liked this as well. :)"

Ooh, 5 stars, Carmen. I'll have to read your review.

Lisa Vegan Lisa wrote: "Carmen wrote: "Great review, Lisa! I liked this as well. :)"

Ooh, 5 stars, Carmen. I'll have to read your review."

Ah, as soon as I turned to it and saw the images you posted I knew I'd already read your review. Good review!

Carmen Thanks, Lisa Vegan! We seem to be children's book friends, sometimes. :) ;)

Lisa Vegan Carmen wrote: "Thanks, Lisa Vegan! We seem to be children's book friends, sometimes. :) ;)"

:-)

There are some excellent children's books out there!!!

Carmen For sure!