Gunjan's Reviews > The Artist�s Reality: Philosophies of Art

The Artist�s Reality by Mark Rothko

Nov 30, 07

Recommended for: anyone interested in rothko or abstract expressionism- told straight from the horse's mouth.
Read in March, 2008

i'm enjoying this book, but so far only the introduction by rothko's son, chris, has proven to have any real structure where the writing's concerned. (mark)rothko's writing from 1940-1941 represents a time when his thoughts on art were changing so rapidly, that the idea of forming a cohesive theme among them was just too difficult to do on canvas. This book serves as his artistic contribution for that time period, kept in a file marked miscellaneous documents and inviting us to consider the meaning of the artist's reality.

essentially, rothko's point and defense of his work can be found in a simple idea. he wants us to understand that it's the negative stuff we experience in life that unites us, not the positive. his tri-colored pieces(often criticized for being too simplistic), desire to evoke that same feeling one would get from a shared, important experience. he believes that universal emotionalism in relationship to the individual is found only in tragic emotionality. by looking at how his colors work together, we're meant to be moved in that same way as we would when having a religious experience.

sounds like something hippy dippy, huh? i'm still reading...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artist�s Reality.