~Jessica~I'm a Hoodie Ninja~'s Reviews > Love Junkie: A Memoir

Love Junkie by Rachel Resnick

Mar 21, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from March 14 to 20, 2011

I got this book from the Library expecting a bunch of long words with too many vowels to be thrown at me. You know, when people go through things and get "diagnosed" they all of a sudden speak like a doctor and expect you to understand. So I was prepared to drag out the ol' dictionary on this one...but to my utter delight, it was not like that at all.

I read numerous reviews bashing Ms.Resnick calling her a grown ass woman who can't stop whining......but I didn't feel that way.

Rachel Resnick is a Love Junkie. But as I read that, I thought to myself, aren't we all? Aren't we all in some ways, Love Junkies? Don't we all in some way shape or form, Romanticize some relationships and do things we don't normally do to try and connect with someone?

Rachel Resnick did this but to the 10th power. Every man she met was the one. When she slept with them, literally the next day she's emailing them, sometimes 30 emails in one day. Even when this one particular man told her that she's taking their relationship to seriously, she emails him some more poems and song lyrics to change his mind.
When Rachel received any kind of attention, she took it and never let it go until it was torn up and mutilated. She stuck with abusive relationships just because any kind of Love is better than no love.

Rachel had a hard childhood. As many of us did. And I won't go into how horrid hers actually was.

The point that I'm trying to make at 9am with no caffeine, is that who are we to judge this woman with what she wanted to share as her personal experience with life? It's her experience not ours. I know that I wouldn't have gone through the things that she put herself through but I know I've put myself through enough stupid bullshit that I can't judge her.

We are all Love Junkies. So thank you Rachel Resnick for putting your story out there and reminding all of the single ladies out there that you don't need to always jump head first, and reminding all the ladies that are in relationships to stay true to who you are because that's the person that your man or woman fell in love with in the first place.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Junkie.

03/15/2011 page 66
29.0% "I went into this book expecting exactly what I'm reading. Its sad to say but a lot of people, not just women, but men also, wear their hearts on their fuckin foreheads ALL THE TIME? It happens, of course it does but to go through a vicious cycle of torture your entire Life? That's when you. Realize YOU are the problem....this book reminds me of a lot of beautiful women out ther shorting themslevs as this woman did"
03/16/2011 page 147
66.0% "almost done with this book...I am going back and forth wondering if I should even write a review regarding how I feel...in all reality it is a touchy subject and I don't want to offend, yet when has that ever stopped me? right? I think I'm getting old lol" 3 comments