Hayes's Reviews > The Girl Who Played with Fire

The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Sep 27, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, ebook
Read in September, 2010

This book disappointed me immensely. I really liked the first one and was hoping that the second installment would be as satisfying. We learn something about Salandar's background and family, which was nice. The storyline was okay. But I was not convinced by the motivations behind the abrupt physical changes that Lisbeth undergoes (I suspect it plays a part in the third book), nor by the psychological changes.

I paid good money for this book and I don't want advertising in it. If I want advertising I will watch television. If you want to send me the book for free you can keep the advertising in. If you want me to pay for the book keep the advertising out.

Also, find an editor. Needed 100 pages taken off it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Played with Fire.

09/02/2010 page 50
10.0% "Couldn't resist... had to start this. I'll probably be up all night!" 1 comment
09/05/2010 page 100
20.0% "hmmm... not loving it. Hope it improves."
09/10/2010 page 250
50.0% "Finally into the thriller! Exciting!!"
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hayes Just checked my position in the ring... there are 5 people in front of me! If I'm lucky it will be here by September.

BoekenTrol Poor you... (if you are eager to read this one, that is). Too bad I only have the Dutch version available...

I hope that the 5 in front of you love it and read it fast, or hate it and send it on quickly :-)

message 3: by Hayes (last edited May 09, 2010 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hayes I *am* eager. It's the mystery book group's group read too... I may have to buy it, if I can find an eBook version of it.

message 4: by ☯Bettie☯ (last edited May 09, 2010 05:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Bettie☯ Message from M - he saw the paperback versions of all three in Rome and Schipol airports. He is 99% sure that there were Italian translations available too.

:O)

Hayes *I* think M should join Goodreads too!! I've seen it around, but I am loathe to buy a "hard" copy of the book when I have too many other things floating around the house...

PS am finishing Yellow Lighted Bookshop even as we speak... will put it into the mail Tuesday!

☯Bettie☯ M has no interest in joining GoodReads but he does have spurts in reading. He has just this last hour finished Rawhead in English and is now reading Snabba Cash. Apparently this book by Lapidus has been made into a film and has rave reviews by the 'crickets'.

message 7: by Joy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joy I agree the 2nd one wasn't as good but the 3rd book in the series is much better.

Hayes Oh good! I wasn't looking forward to throwing my eReader against the wall! ;-)

Joje I was thinking a bit about your final comments and agree the commercial reference are very noticeable. Weren't they in the first, especially the Macs the good guys use? Since this is not by an established novelist who might be tempted to prepare the income from selling brands, as movies do all to often and obviously, it is unlikely here. What about this theory: a good but beginning novelist trying to add telling details to his characterization and slipping a bit in quality? He does a deep and good job over the three books to use each character, but I agree that I don't care if Lisbeth filled her unused apartment at Ikea or some other higher end store. However, it does say something about the context of the choices in that, at least, doesn't it, like buying socks at Pennies or Nordstroms, if that is important. I skimmed it, in other words, but thought about it. Of all the books of the year I have read, this trio stands out, and since they work so intimately together, then I didn't feel inclined to go after any one of them. Some of your other reviewers may have more helpful things to say, I suspect. Sandybanks got around to them, yet?

message 10: by Grace (last edited Sep 30, 2010 09:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Grace Tjan "I was very put off by the not-so-subliminal advertising throughout the book. The brand of frozen pizza she heats in her microwave was named at least 10 times, and the convenience store where she bought it. I don't care what brand of tea Lisbeth drinks. I don't have to know what store supplied the furniture for her apartment."

I'm not sure if Larsson actually intended them to be advertising per se, but yes, they could be pretty repetitive. He did something similar with street names and directions. There's a hilarious article satirizing these writing quirks:

I actually found Lisbeth shopping for furniture at IKEA to be quite funny, as well as revealing. She's got this swanky multi-million dollar apartment and she furnishes it with flat-pack furniture? lol

message 11: by Joje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joje Thanks for the link back to the NYer. Must not have read that issue yet. I'm reading too many books these days, and perhaps my daughter still has that issue. I'll send her the link, too. Otherwise, yes it is funny. I knew I could count on you. I'll check in a free moment if you have any great reviews on these books, but a bit overwhelmed in new class lists this year.