Andrew's Reviews > Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul

Love Your God with All Your Mind by J.P. Moreland

M_50x66
Apr 14, 10

bookshelves: spiritual
Read from April 04 to 13, 2010

Anti-intellectualism has pervaded our society. Western culture is characterized by the empty self: we are swayed by cravings, are increasingly narcissistic, are sensate (believe in feelings, not ideas), redefine success as power and wealth instead of virtue, and are too hurried and busy to think. "Reason has given way to rhetoric, evidence to emotion, substance to slogan, the speech writer to the makeup man, and rational authority . . . to social power. . . ." The modern evangelical church is no different; it has lost the Christian mind. Much of society thinks faith is some blind suspension of reason. The church is unable to counter higher criticism or confront cultural systems--which are two of it's roles. Moreland passionately explains why this is a problem. Romans 12 urges us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds rather than to conform to this world. Proverbs 1:7 says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.

Moreland insists that believers must reverse this trend and restore the Christian mind. We need to stretch our minds by reading and discussing ideas more. With this comes the need to tell people when they're wrong or simply present a poorly-reasoned argument; we cannot just affirm everything. Moreland devotes several pages to logic, creating a basis in readers' minds for considering arguments and structure. The Bible is an infinite resource, so we must become students of it and encourage our friends to do the same. Behavior follows belief, so we need to be firmly grounded in the Word and continually receive truth from it. Spiritual study is an expression of worship to a God who is worthy of all we can give.

That's what I'm most passionate about, but Moreland does address other issues. He addresses various forms of skepticism and scientism. The idea that only science can provide truth is a philosophical claim, not a scientific claim! He also writes about integration of the Christian mind with vocation. You should live as Jesus would if he were you.

I hope that all disciples of Christ adopt these attitudes and behaviors that Moreland promotes. God wants all your intellect! If you need more convincing or want to learn more, read the book! Whatever you do, read something and tell someone about it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Your God with All Your Mind.