Loryn's Reviews > Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Apr 16, 10

bookshelves: young-adult-ya, lib-265-books, fantasy, read-it-and-it-was-okay
Read from March 22 to 27, 2010, read count: 1

Tally Youngblood cannot wait until she is sixteen! For all her life, she has looked forward to this and her chance to finally become Pretty. Where Tally lives, the people are divided between those who are Pretties, and those who are Uglies. Until your sixteenth birthday, you are called an ugly; not smart, childish, and most of all unattractive. One of the main things that Uglies enjoy doing is playing pranks and pushing the envelope and Tally is one of the best!
After her best friend Peris turned pretty, Tally never expected she would find another friend. Shay and Tally stumbled upon one another in the restricted Pretty Town after Tally had snuck over to see Peris. Shay and Tally immediately click; they even have the same birthday! The one difference about the two of them is that Shay is not sure she wants to become Pretty. Eventually Shay explains to Tally that there are people outside of their home who live in a place called The Smoke. They live off of the land and they are not at all interested in becoming Pretty.
On the eve of their sixteenth birthdays, Shay comes to Tally and tells her of her plan to leave and go to The Smoke and she wants Tally to come with her. All Tally has ever wanted was to be Pretty, and leaving to go to this place, that she is not even sure is real, is not part of her plan. After Tally told Shay she was not going, she left her with decoded directions to The Smoke if she were ever to change her mind.
The next morning, after Shay had run away, Tally starts the process of becoming Pretty. Things do not seem right though, and that is because the adults in charge know that Shay has run away and they want Tally to find her and expose the location of The Smoke. The only way Tally will ever become Pretty is if she does this.
Tally journeys to The Smoke, and once she arrives she is amazed by the lifestyle of these people. Life seems so much easier where she is from! She struggles with her secret mission and the fact that all these people she is starting to really like she will eventually have to betray. Will Tally go through with her mission so she can become Pretty, or will she learn that being Pretty is not all that it is made out to be?
Uglies is a very young adult novel. On Amazon.com, the book has over 350 reviews and a rating of four and a half stars out of five. Most people felt that the book was well written and the story really drew them in. Tally is a well liked character, and readers enjoyed learning about her journey and growth and are very interested to see what happens next!
Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by this book. I listened to it via a playaway player and I think my indifference might be linked to the boring voice of the narrator. I enjoyed the story and her blooming love with a Smoke inhabitant David, but all I really wanted was to hear about her becoming Pretty! This is the first book in a series of four, and I have heard that my hope for Tally eventually becomes a reality. The good thing about Uglies was that it left me wanting to know more about the lives in the story.

Awards: South Carolina Books Award Nominee for Young Adult Book Award (2008).
Characters: Tally Youngblood, Shay, Peris, David, Dr. Cable.
Genre: Science fiction, Fantasy
Subjects/Themes: Love, friendship, personal beauty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.

03/24/2010 "I'm on chapter 24. I wish this was living up the expectations I had for it." 1 comment