Andre's Reviews > Gone, Baby, Gone

Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane

U_50x66
Apr 02, 10

Read from March 31 to April 02, 2010

Man, oh, man, what a wonderful book. What a full and complete, emotionally gripping story. There are so many levels to this thing.

First, there is the development of Patrick and Angie's relationship from where we last saw them at the end of Sacred. As Gone, Baby, Gone is the fourth book about the pair, it is as though we have known them their whole lives, but there is still much for us, and them, to learn. So often when two people get together, especially in fiction, they mesh into one personality. Lehane does an excellent job of maintaining Patrick and Angie's separate identities, of maintaining both their individual independence and each's faith and trust in the other's. Their's is a great relationship. There are no ultimatums; there is no coercion. All that exists between those two are love and understanding. But that doesn't mean it's pretty.

How far will cops go for each other? And how much pull does a civilian friendship have on a cop when other cops are in need? Gone, Baby, Gone, like the other Kenzie-Gennaro novels, is a story of relationships. No one person accomplishes anything on his/her own. Teamwork is at the core of all these stories, and this one moreso than the others. See, it's not Amanda McCready's disappearance that gets to you; instead, it's the heart and efforts of the people affected by it. Watching these men and women who have been broken many times over get back on their feet and keep walking into what they believe is certain darkness that got me fully invested.

The central question Gone, Baby, Gone asks is: WHAT IS RIGHT? Sometimes the answer is clear cut. Sometimes it is not. In this story, I don't think anything is. I'm convinced there is no right answer, just a bunch of wrong ones. At the end, you may ask yourself whose side you are on. I did. I'm on neither's side. Yeah, I'll be thinking about this one for a long, long time.

I saw the movie a year ago, so I already knew what happened. That did nothing to lessen my enjoyment of the book. I read it slowly, much more slowly than the previous three, because I enjoyed it so much I wanted to savor every word. As I said to my wife last night, I enjoyed it so much I put it down with fifty pages left because I wanted to make it last just a bit longer.

The only negative here was the five pages of Port Mesa, Texas at the beginning and the end. I realize what Lehane was attempting, but it didn't work for me. It only took away from an otherwise great novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Baby, Gone.

03/31/2010 page 30
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  It's so fun to watch you burning through these books, the same way I did when I discovered them. . .God, ten years ago. Now I feel old! But the books are worth it.

Andre Only one left until Fall. Makes me kinda sad.