PurplyCookie's Reviews > Heist Society

Heist Society by Ally Carter

May 30, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, 1st-in-a-series, book-series, personal-faves, fave-series, spy-con-men, boarding-school
Read on November 04, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

After a childhood spent assisting her father, one of the world’s most talented art thieves, Katarina Bishop tries to leave the family business behind when she forges her way into a New England boarding school.

She quickly discovers, though, that her past is inescapable. Her father has been accused of stealing already stolen masterpieces from a dangerous Italian billionaire. Certain that her father is innocent, Kat resolves to find the missing paintings and return them to their unsavory owner, who has given her a two-week deadline.

Her dad is currently under surveillance by Interpol (a result of the job he was actually pulling on the night the paintings were stolen), so that leaves Kat to discover who pulled the art heist and get the mobster's paintings back before he starts hurting the people she loves.

In her discreet way, Carter sets the stage for a future romance, but the reader is left wondering if it will be Hale, fellow thief, or Nick, whose mom is investigating Kat's father. In a world of rushed romances in literature, it is refreshing to see a romance built slowly over friendship. One of the best parts of this book is how Carter weaved some history into the art heist when Kat "meets" Mr. Romani, who is working diligently to recover artwork stolen by the Nazis. Hopefully in future books, readers will be able to learn more about Kat's parents and perhaps how the family started stealing in the first place.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable, cinema-ready adventure, and the details of thieving tools and techniques, lavish settings, and cast of eccentric characters, including possible spies and love interests, all add texture and depth to the action.

Carter's style is conversational, smooth, and clever, exposing Kat's wry humor and her steely determination. Amid themes of family loyalty and identity, the protagonist comes to understand herself, her beliefs, and her place in her family.

More of Purplycookie’s Reviews @: http://www.goodreads.com/purplycookie

Book Details:

Title Heist Society (Heisty Society #1)
Author Ally Carter
Reviewed By Purplycookie
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heist Society.

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Looks chick lit to me. Is it?

Hey? Want to get Gracelling tomorrow? I can bring it to the office. Let me know please.

PurplyCookie Hiya yes pls, I'll be getting it tom :) I'll pm you
Hmm, more like YA lit hehe

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review Rauf, K.D., Joyzi & Halesgirlfriend! 

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Kendall Anne! 

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Val! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Bonita! :)

Lauren C. That's a pretty accurate review. But I don't think it ever mentioned her assisting her father.....

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my review, Lauren! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Helen! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Sajjoo! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Galen! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Fatima! :)

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Prerana! :)