Scarlett Sims's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

Mar 24, 10

bookshelves: for-school, multicultural, ya
Read in March, 2010

Luna is a girl who was born into the body of a boy. She is only allowed to feel truly herself at night, when she can dress up with her sister, the only person who knows her true identity.
I think the best decision the author made when writing this book was to tell the story from the point of view of the sister, which keeps a little bit of distance between the reader and Luna. It also allowed her to convey the difficulties of knowing someone who is trans; ultimately it's not going to be something that you can just accept overnight and be happy about. There were lots of, I felt, realistic difficulties that all of the characters were dealing with and I really appreciated that at the end, it was clear that Luna was still going to struggle in life.
My only complaint about this book was that the character of the mother really angered me. Ultimately I guess it was just showing her way of dealing with things but I hated everything about her. She was a housewife who had EVERYTHING a person could want but was so disgustingly ungrateful because it wasn't enough for her; she wanted to be able to neglect her family. I took really personal offense to that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.