K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Apr 24, 10

bookshelves: ya
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos in Goodreads (Book of the Month: April 2010)
Read from April 18 to 24, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

USA, present time. 32-year old Shadow was released from the prison only to receive the news that his wife, Laura died in a car accident while giving oral sex to Shadow's bestfriend Robbie. Shattered, Shadow accepted the offer to work for Wednesday who was actually an incarnation of Odin the All-Father who was recruiting American manifestations of the Old Gods of ancient mythology in their quest to fight the New Gods.

Its been a long while since the last time I read a fantasy-themed book. This brought back memories of my younger years in Quezon when I was hooked reading komiks. I grew up reading about Darna, Lastikman, etc. Reading American Gods of course was far from reading those komiks with all the pictures and captions. I struggled adjusting to Mr. Gaiman's writing style so it took me 1 full week to finish this almost 588-page book. However, I have no regrets since it was an enjoyable wonderful read. I think the difficulty came from my being 45 years old and being introduced to a new set of Gods (we have Roman, Greeks and Jesus Christ) is something that now comes a bit too late for me to be engrossed with. I think that when you are in the late half of your life, you just focus on which God can save your soul and ignore all the rest. However, as I reminisced my "komiks days", I set aside my age and just enjoy Mr. Gaiman's opus.

The Gods, particularly the Old Gods, here are not those that have spectacular powers like the characters in Percy Jackson, the mutants in X-Men or the characters in Heroes. The latter two are not called as gods but they are comparable. The reason is that the Gods here do less spectacular and more of strange things like in those movies or TV series. In this book, for example, there is a female god called Bilquis who encases her lover inside her vagina after the sexual act. Wednesday, the All-Father, himself needs to have a lot of sex for him to live. Loki can cause an earthquake and even Shadow, who was later revealed as the son of Wednesday could make snow fall in a summer day. There is a lot of killings, nudity, cursing and sex here that sometimes I feel that they are no longer Gods but more of sophisticated criminals.

For me, the message that I got from this novel is that Gods exist because people worship them. This is true for the Old and New American Gods although I know that atheists and non-believers would argue that it can also apply to Jesus Christ but that is totally a different point that I do not want to argue with.

Interesting and worth all the time. Nice choice made by the Filipinos here in Goodreads as our Book of the Month for April 2010!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

04/18/2010 page 12
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly Readers' stages of maturity:

1. They read for the story;

2. They read for the story and its hidden moral lesson;

3. They read for the story and HOW the author wrote the story; and

4. They read for the story, how it was written, and the MOOD the written work draws from the reader.

No.1 one is usually for young children; no.2 for older kids. By no.3, the reader begins to mature. He starts to pay attention to the authors' different writing style. Usually, he begins doing some writing here himself, consciously or unconsciously assimilating the various writing styles of the authors he reads. By no.4, he begins to perceive, not styles anymore, but magic, in literature.

This book hovers between Nos. 1 and 2, and it is tragic that teenagers and those past their teens love it. Juveniles and older, hooked with children's literature.

When I was younger, I also read a lot of trash like this. So I can't say I'm any better. But for whatever it may be worth, I say this: it was a waste of time.

The storyline here is not even original. A rip-off from Greek mythology.

readers

K.D. Absolutely I think that as long as you enjoyed what you read, it could not be a waste of time at all.