Nic's Reviews > Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler

Sep 11, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, favourites, realistic-fiction, romance-awww, young-adult
Recommended for: Older young adults, adults
Read from September 10 to 11, 2010 — I own a copy

Nothing ever really goes away - it just changes into something else. Something beautiful.

Don’t let the light and fluffy title of this book deceive you. This book will make you cry, break your heart and then fill it up with hope again.

Twenty Boy Summer is an unforgettable story about friendships, love, loss, and finding the courage to let go. This book was an emotional roller coaster ride, it made me smile one moment, cry the next, smile some more, cry again but at the end it left me feeling good.

Sarah Ockler writing flows beautiful and has a lyrical feel to it. I always note my favourite quotes when reading a book and this one had so many that I loved, I had a hard time choosing just one to include in my review.

I liked Anna she was a relatable character who I cared about and just wanted everything for her to turn out okay. But Frankie I struggle to like at times, she was too self centred, but I guess that is the way she dealt with her loss and by the end she mature somewhat. Matt and Sam were both sweet and amazing guys.

Overall I loved it and it will easily find a home on my favourites shelf.
40 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twenty Boy Summer.

Quotes Nic Liked

Sarah Ockler
“Every story is part of a whole, entire life, you know? Happy and sad and tragic and whatever, but an entire life. And books let you know them.”

Sarah Ockler
“Don't move, Anna Reiley. Right now, everything is perfect.”

Sarah Ockler
“Nothing ever really goes away--it just changes into something else. Something beautiful.”

Sarah Ockler
“Sometimes you gotta just take things for what they are and appreciate them, not try to label it or explain it. Explanations take the mystery out of it, you know?”

Sarah Ockler
“But when he died, I saw - nothing. There was nothing left to see. It happened and it was impossible and beautiful and then it ended before it even really began, leaving nothing behind but secrets and broken hearts.”

02/06 marked as: read

Alexa :3

Janina Can't wait to hear what you think about it, it's on top of my wishlist right now.

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Loving it so far :)

~Tina~ There's a wait for this book in my lib so it'll be a bit before I get it. Glad you like XD

~Tina~ Great review! I really need to get this soon!

message 6: by Alexa (last edited Sep 11, 2010 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alexa 'Don’t let the light and fluffy title of this book deceive you.'
You're right about that! Nice review. :D

I don't always have a fave quote when I read books, but I definitely had one for this book. :)
Don't move, Anna Reiley. Right now, everything is perfect.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Sounds great Nic, thanks!

message 8: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Alexa I loved the line too. Ahhh....Sam :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book 2 and Sam was sooo sweet XD

Albie46 I did love this book as well, so much so that even though I read my library's copy , I ended up going and buying myself a keep copy anyway!

message 11: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic It is awesome book. I can't wait to read Fixing Delilah.

Tina and Kim I think you both will like it :)

Arlene Great review! I can't wait to read this one.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

woah I didnt even no she had another book comin out, cant wait 2 read that one either

Tabby I totally agree. I wasn't keen on the book because of the title, but I read the blurb, and was curious to see how it played out. I'm so glad I read this, it's my absolute favourite book ever. I cried so much... Ockler is an amazing writer. <3

message 15: by Ðɑηηɑ (new)

Ðɑηηɑ Why older ya?

Nikki REALLY excited to read this book! i hope its like 'the summer i turned pretty' Thank you

message 17: by Kay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay I could not have said it any better. I thought it would have been a fun summer read, but I cried.... alot.