EJ's Reviews > The Reading Group

The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble

Dec 03, 07

Read in December, 2007

I bought this book in 2003 on vacation in London…now almost 5 years later it was still collecting dust on my shelf. I picked it up for an easy, feel-good read.

The Reading Group follows 5 women through out one crucial year of their lives. From an ailing mother, estranged children, child pregnancy, divorce and true love they all find refuge in the reading group as they have a common bond of womanhood and family life.

It is a stereo-typical chick-lit book for middle age women. Growing closer as they help one another through their individual problems…and of course it has a happy ending.

They mentioned some great books for their book club( Atonement, Girl with a Pear Earring, The Alchemist) , however the book club was hardly featured in this book. The scenes of their meetings were confusing and jumbled. The dialogue was never clear as to who was talking and their book discussions always turned into girl gossip.

I thought it was funny how often the author compared people and situations to works of art, musicians, and great authors ..it seemed like a failed attempt to portray the characters as educated and witty. Its like a person talking about how smart they are.

I did not enjoy the book simply because I could not relate to the characters. I don’t know why but lately books pertaining to middle age women keep finding their way into my hands….

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reading Group.