Sara ♥'s Reviews > The Undomestic Goddess

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

Apr 08, 10

bookshelves: 2010, audiobook, challenge-spring-2010, cooking, chick-lit, humor, romance
Read from April 03 to 06, 2010, read count: 1

I'd rate this book a 3.5.

The Undomestic Goddess was a cute little chick-lit book about a crazy-busy British lawyer (Samantha) who has absolutely no life outside of work. She makes a mistake at her law firm (one of the top in England) that costs another company £50 million, freaks out, leaves her office building, gets on a train, and starts riding. When she gets off, she has no idea where she is, has a killer headache, and goes up to a random house to see if she can get a glass of water and some medicine... and ends up with a job as a housekeeper (which in this case = maid + cook). Except Samantha can't clean and can't cook. She doesn't even know what a vacuum cleaner bag is... It's bad. Really bad.

But the gardener, Nathaniel, takes pity on her and has his mom give her cooking and cleaning lessons... :) And soon she finds that creating beautiful meals is really fulfilling to her!

There's more after that, but I don't want to give the WHOLE plot away. The "message" I got from the book was sort of about feminism: Being a woman doesn't mean you HAVE to have a job in a top male-dominated field, but that a woman should have the freedom to do whatever makes her happy. And that's always a great message.

Oh, and the rating is a 3.5 and not a 4, because do you REALLY need that much language in a book to make it good? I think not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Undomestic Goddess.

04/03/2010 page 1
0.25% "Just started this book while walking the dogs..."
04/04/2010 page 2
0.5% "Most of the way through Disc 2... OYE, has Samantha got herself in a pickle..."
04/04/2010 page 3
0.75% "Oh boy.... This is going to be insane!" 1 comment
04/05/2010 page 5
1.25% "Just started disc 5... :) I like Nathaniel... :)" 1 comment
04/05/2010 page 6
1.5% "Disc 6... It's really really cute... :)"
04/05/2010 page 7
1.75% "Disc 7... moving right along..."
04/06/2010 page 8
2.0% "I think I'm on disc 8... I don't think I've made it to disc 9. I fell asleep... ;)"
04/06/2010 page 12
2.99% "Finished! It was REALLY cute! Review pending...."