Gina Denny's Reviews > Girl, Interrupted

Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen

Oct 08, 11

Read from September 30 to October 08, 2011

DNF

I have been crazy busy for a couple of weeks and haven't had a lot of time to read and this book has been languishing on my nightstand, half completed, awaiting my return. However, I noticed today that I have been reading magazines, not feeling the slightest pull to finish this book. That means it's just not good enough, I guess.

This reminds me of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for a lot of reasons. The main protagonist insists that they have been committed unjustly- they are not crazy, but, hey, they just go along with it for kicks. The difference being that in Girl, Interrupted, the narrator is the protagonist, instead of a bystander. In both books, the narrator is (at least) borderline nuts, and tells stories that don't make a lot of sense, contradicts themselves, makes audacious claims, etc. Both books are also unnecessarily crass, and that gets old really, really fast.

I don't know, I don't see anything really "wrong" with this book, but it just didn't scratch my itch.

PARENTAL ADVISORIES (based on the first half, but I doubt there are significant deviations from this pattern):
Language 5/5: Every single curse word imaginable, but with particular emphasis on the f-bomb being tossed around carelessly (trying for a shock factor? I don't know)

Violence 3/5: These are mentally disturbed young women. Talk of rape is common (though it's hinted that much of it is false). These young women self-mutilate and even commit suicide. The book is touted as a "horror" story of some sort. I don't know if that is referring to the horrors of social injustice, or if the violence increases by the end.

Sex 3/5: Brief, juvenile talk about oral sex and intercourse. It's sort of the crazy-girl equivalent of locker-room bragging.

Substance Abuses 4/5: All the girls smoke cigarettes. Personal stories are told involving alcohol and hard drugs. One girl even aspires to being a heroine junkie. Pharmaceutical narcotics are administered with a heavy hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl, Interrupted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Thanks for the great review!!! I appreciate it when you are specific in regards to what is in the book (language, sex, etc). I will not be adding this one to my reading list.