Chelsey Pennyamon's Reviews > Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype

Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

F 50x66
Another reviewer summed it up: this book's cover was misleading! I know that authors often have nothing to do with how their books are advertised, and perhaps I should have read the introduction before I bought it or something, but it *still* isn't fair that I wasted my money on a book chock-full of Jungian psychoanalysis when what is advertised and what I expected was a book about the literary and mythological archetype of the wild woman. What's worse, the book isn't so much about Jungian psychology in general as it is about the author's experience. I just get the feeling that this book was clearly written for the author, other woman just happen to become "empowered" by her writings on wild women. And honestly, I understand wanting to reclaim wildness and all, but making essentialist claims about all women-- even if they aren't "negative" (or turning a negative into a positive)-- is still annoying. I just wanted to scold, "No, not all women are 'robust'." And so is comparing women to (non-human) animals. These assertions and comparisons may be an attempt to reclaim or subvert sexist tenets about women, but Estes seems to forget that women have been compared to and thus treated like animals throughout history, and that this has negative consequences! I understand what she's attempting to do, I know she isn't ignorant of these facts, and I can appreciate the worth and need of a focus on women's psychology, but this just doesn't work for me.
One thing I can laugh at is the fact that I would have adored this book during high school, when I was really into Jung, Freud, psychology and feminism in general and I suppose I could finish reading it out of embarrassed nostalgia. But who reads a 500+ page book out of pure nostalgia? Not I.
20 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women Who Run With the Wolves.

06/07 marked as: read

message 1: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Humans are animals at there core. So, I'd think if she were writing a book on men, she may also reference them to be like certain animals. I did not take it as sexist, as I don't see animals as lowly beings, whom are lesser than myself because I am human. Even if she was comparing specifically women to animals. I felt I still understood the comparisons and never once thought they were sexist, despite I am a feminist, though more of a humanist because of wanting to see gender equality, not just female and male equality.

Raven Sutherland This book unearthed a part of me I could never find anyone to affirm. I chose to study Psychology because of how my family is. I wanted to understand. This book put A LOT into perspective.

Lucy So... you didn't read it? You reviewed it without reading it?