Ravyn's Reviews > My Fair Captain

My Fair Captain by J.L. Langley

Sep 17, 10

bookshelves: all-mm-fiction, c-military-men, g-scifi-futuristic, t-first-time, c-royalty-nobles
Read in January, 2010

I was expecting My Fair Captain to be a pretty average example of your typical scifi-themed m/m romp - something light and silly to pass the time. (Read: ridiculous plot with lots of sex.) Under the right circumstances, with the right mood, this kind of book definitely can be enjoyable. Unfortunately, this novel didn't even live up my somewhat lackluster expectations.

I have enjoyed J.L. Langley's work in the past, and obviously many people have enjoyed this novel as well. So what was my problem then?

1) Bad editing. Problems with grammar grate on my nerves if they are common enough, and they were definitely common enough here. Also, I thought the flow of the story in general could have used some real work.

2) The story itself. Beyond ridiculous, and to be honest, it was sort of hard to follow at times, with clues spread randomly and unsubtly around, and only finally explained much later. (So freakin annoying.)

3) The society depicted. Sorry, but it squicked me out - the whole faux-regency feel, only with boys under the age of 25 acting the part of virginal damsels in need of chaperones and parental approval. Ick.

4) My biggest problem: The so-called "romance" between Nate and Aiden. First, there really wasn't much in terms of romantic development. Second, the sex scenes didn't even do it for me. The dialogue between the couple in bed is crude and terrible. Plus they call each other "sir" and "boy," which also squicked me out. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading something with a submissive/dominant theme, but it just didn't work for me at all in this novel.

So there you have it. This book was definitely not my cup of tea, largely due to my own personal feelings about the romantic interaction between the characters. In other words, their "romance" was a major TURN-OFF for me. I guess you don't really have any hope of enjoying a romance novel if the supposed romance is completely unbelievable and unappealing. But that's just me, and certainly not everyone would have those same feelings about the novel. To each his own I say. And I say this was two thumbs down for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Fair Captain.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sarah I was totally squicked out by Nate calling Aiden "boy" all the time too. Definitely did not find it sexy...

message 2: by Ravyn (last edited Dec 20, 2010 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ravyn Yeah, I don't mind a little D/s, but when it turns into that patronizing "daddy/boy" sort of interaction, I just don't like it at all. Not my kink. But hey, that's just my own personal taste (and yours too I guess).

Although for a while there, I thought I might be the only person on the face of the planet who didn't like this book. LOL.

Camilla Couldnt agree more.. Looks like we didnt like the same things about the book (which in my case, is pretty much all of it.. lol)

Marie Oh, a review right out of my own heart! I agree with *every* point you made - ugh, the "boy" business still makes me feel a bit queasy! - and was equally frustrated by the fact that I like the other things I've read by Langley, too.

message 5: by M (last edited Apr 01, 2011 09:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

M M Thank you for the review because I felt the same way. The editing made it very hard for me to read. Sometimes, I'd end up just skipping parts that didn't make a lick of sense.

The UHQ Nasanta Ah, thanks for this review. Point #3 is definitely something I don't want to read about, and after reading Lethal: Obsessed, neither is Point #4 and Point #1 almost always never fails to bother me.

GymGuy I can't agree more with these comments. This book was just sick! I read a fair amount of M/M romance. I had high hopes for this one, but it was a total gross-out.