James Thane's Reviews > Eyes of Prey

Eyes of Prey by John Sandford

Sep 15, 10

Read in September, 2010

This is the third book in John Sandford's long-running series featuring Lucas Davenport, and it features probably the most vile and complex villain of the entire series. Actually, there are two major bad guys. One is much more intelligent and much scarier than the other and, not surprisingly, he is the one pulling the strings in a series of murders inspired by the old Alfred Hitchcock film, "Strangers on a Train."

The mastermind's plan goes awry right from the start and the bad guys are left scrambling to clean up the mess and stay one step ahead of the cops. That will not be easy, because Lucas Davenport is hard on their trail and he's getting really pissed.

This is probably the most gruesome book in the series, and Davenport is at his darkest and most violent here. He's working out of a major depression that has virtually paralyzed him and acting out as a rogue cop ala Dirty Harry, without even a twinge of conscience.

As always, Sandford puts the reader right in the middle of the action. The writing is crisp; the plot is fast-paced, and the action is non-stop. And, even in a book this grim, there is a fair amount of the humor that characterizes the series.

It's hard to imagine that there could possibly be a fan of crime fiction who has not sampled this series yet, but if that person should exist, he or she should probably not begin with this book because, while it is a very good read, it's not really representative of the series as a whole. Some readers who might otherwise enjoy the series might be put off by the violence that permeates this particular book. As always, but especially in this case, the best place to begin would be at the beginning with the first book, Rules Of Prey. You won't be disappointed.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyes of Prey.

Kemper This series is one of my favorite. I can't believe that Sandford has done 20 of these books (plus his other ones) and kept from getting stuck in ruts like most do.

Sandford's done a lot of good villians, but this is one of the better ones.

James Thane You're right about the villains, although I think my personal favorite was the female hitman, whose name now escapes me (Cassie, Carrie?), and who Sandford carried over two books. Of all the "relationships" between Davenport and his prey, I liked that one the best.

Kemper James wrote: "You're right about the villains, although I think my personal favorite was the female hitman, whose name now escapes me (Cassie, Carrie?), and who Sandford carried over two books. Of all the "relat..."

Clara Rinker from Wichita KS. She was awesome. That crazy lawyer who hired her was a pretty good villian, too. I think my vote for creepiest goes to the kidnapper of that woman and her kids in Mind Prey or the cat burglar who got obsessed with that woman in Night Prey. Those guys gave me the heebie jeebies.

James Thane Clara, right! I liked the scene where she and Lucas wound up dancing with each other. All the others you mentioned were really good as well.