Missy's Reviews > Pretty Little Dirty

Pretty Little Dirty by Amanda Boyden

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: coming-of-age, friendship, favorite
Read in March, 2010

From Amazon: Lisa sees the life of her gorgeous best friend Celeste as just about perfect: she has a gigantic house, two older sisters to coach her through the hazards of high school, and loving, lively parents. As Lisa's own home has long been a place devoid of joyful noise—her mother has shut herself off in her bedroom for years—Lisa joins the Diamond household, slipping into their routine of sit-down suppers and soaking in the delicious normalcy of Diamond family life. But what begins as the story of two young women living a charmed adolescence, one of mastering dance moves and the protocols of male-female interaction, soon swirls into an intoxicating novel of art, music, and self-destructive impulses as Lisa and Celeste dare each other ever onward.~

Wow. This book really shocked me. It doesn't take much to shock me, but this did it. Two best friends growing up together. They meet in sixth grade, while taking a placement exam to get into a prestigious prep school. Their friendship begins immediately.

They are together every summer, and celebrate special moments together; their first kisses, first dates, first experiences with alcohol and drugs, then later their first sexual encounters. I envied their closeness....and knew that they would be there for each other no matter what. I think the best thing about this book is the end.....It blindsided me....never saw it coming.
This is a gritty, raw and surprising coming-of-age story that I will never forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Little Dirty.