jacky's Reviews > Sarah, Plain and Tall

Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan

Aug 05, 15

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, childrens-chapter-books, lib-lew, 1001cbymrbyug, ccexemplars, major-award
Read in April, 2010

As I read this, I got the feeling I might have read it as a child. I know that I saw the Hallmark movie (which I just found out had Glenn Close in it), but it seemed to be the words that I remembered, especially hanging the flowers upside down to dry and jumping in the hay. I was surprised that this was a Newbury winner. It was very simple. However, I will say, that I haven't read anything else quite like it. The description of the landscape was good, but what made it unique was the situation. Its basically the story of a father writing a personal ad (or getting a mail order bride even). What made this book special though was the longing these children have for a mother. How much they want Sarah to like them and stay. In our time, most stories of a single parent and child seem to be about the childrn trying to prevent the parent from "replacing" the missing parent. The fact that this story was about longing for a mother made it refreshing and touching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah, Plain and Tall.