Julie's Reviews > Soulless

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Jun 15, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010
Read from June 10 to 13, 2010

“Soulless”, the first book in ‘the Parasol Protectorate’ series by Gail Carriger, is in a word delightful. The fact that the story takes place in nineteenth century England adds an endearing quality to the characters and the plot. The tale holds all the elements of a historical romance novel — including corsets and ruffles, bonnets and chaperones, carriages and flighty sisters. (The sisters are quite funny, what with their charm and brainlessness). Now don’t let all this cutesy historical stuff fool you. There is some pretty gritty and gruesome paranormal stuff happening in this book, especially the in last hundred pages or so. It kind of took me by surprise seeing how most of the book is quite light and quirky. I thought the fact that our heroine was born without a soul thus giving her the ability to, with a simple touch, negate a supernatural being’s powers and rendering him or her essentially human (at least until she let’s go) to be an ingenious and unique concept. Once again, I am in awe of authors and their infinite ideas and astonishing imaginations!

Miss Alexia Tarabotti is charming to read. She is quite sassy – well, as sassy as a lady can be during Victorian times – and set in her ways. She’s comfortable with her station in life and doesn’t expect much to change. Her relationship with Lord Conall Maccon, Alpha werewolf, is really sweet. Alexia and Conall don’t expect the turn their relationship ultimately takes, and witnessing their reaction is so much fun. I loved Lord Akeldama (a flamboyant vampire) and his ‘minions’. Goodness, even Queen Victoria herself makes an appearance in this book! Every character you encounter is very likable – and if they aren’t, they are at least very well written (Of course I am speaking of the vile and loathsome Mr. Siemons).

I am very glad I plucked “Soulless” out of my book closet to read. It has been sitting there for quite some time and it was about time I did something about that. I had heard many wonderful things about this book and I’m glad to say I was not disappointed. The second Alexia Tarabotti novel, entitled “Changeless” is available now. The third book “Blameless” comes out September 1st 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulless.