AH's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

Sep 01, 10

bookshelves: own, zzread-august-2010, urban-fantasy, were, first-in-series
Read from August 07 to 14, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have been finding it hard to sit down and write a review for this book. I gave it 4 stars, so I did like it, so that can’t be a problem. I think it’s because I read it while on vacation and my brain was not in review mode.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Mercy. I liked that she was not a werewolf, but instead a skin walker that shifts into a coyote. Mercy is the only one of her kind and this seems to give her a special status with the werewolves.

The werewolf lore and the pack politics were very interesting. The author’s descriptions of werewolves changing and their behavior during a change were fascinating. There is a scene where Mercy is with a new, young werewolf during one of his first changes and there is a moment where you think that she might be dinner, instead of a supportive friend.

The characters were colorful and entertaining. I have a soft spot for Stefan, the Scooby Doo loving vampire. Not only did he have a van painted to look like the Mystery Machine, but his answering machine also played the Scooby Doo theme song.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

08/07/2010 page 8
3.0% "His eyes lit up for a minute. "Mercedes the Volkswagen mechanic?" His face closed down quickly and he mumbled. "Sorry. Bet you've heard that a lot."" 2 comments
08/07/2010 page 23
8.0% "Stefan's bus was painted to match the Mystery Machine, which said a lot about the vampire it belonged to. Stefan told me that he'd briefly considered painting it black a few years ago when he started watching Buffy, but, in the end, he'd decided the vampire slayer was no match for Scooby Doo." 2 comments
08/09/2010 page 106
35.0% ""Mercedes...Mercy." He looked away from me, staring down the slope of the mountain as if the meadows below held some secret he was looking for. "I'm as unsettled as a new pup. You eat my control."" 7 comments
08/09/2010 page 107
35.0% "What kind of vampire plays the Scooby Doo song on his answering machine? - Got to love Stefan..."
08/09/2010 page 120
39.0% ""A werewolf. You know. The moon-called, run-on-four-feet-with-big-fangs kind of werewolf."" 2 comments
08/20/2010 page 125
41.0% ""I'm not a minion," I objected hotly. "Minions have to be followers" (Mercy)"
08/20/2010 page 131
43.0% "Trolls like money and extortion, a lot of them go into banking."
08/20/2010 page 158
52.0% "Vampire politics, I thought. Humans, werewolves, or apparently, vampires, it doesn't matter; get more than three of them together and the jockeying for power begins."
08/20/2010 page 189
62.0% ""No demons," I shrugged. "It doesn't take a demon to kill an untrained, newbie werewolf that was too stupid to live.""
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katyana Ooooh, awesome, I didn't realize you hadn't read this yet! Can't wait to hear what you think!

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH So far I like it....might be a while before I review...
Going somewhere with spotty internet.

Katyana Ah, well, hope it is somewhere fun! :)

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Off to visit the parents and do some sight seeing. My dad doesn't like it when people touch his computer. Data plans for cell phones are expensive in Canada. So I'll be quiet for a while.

message 5: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Have fun! We'll miss you!

Katyana Great review!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Katyana...

message 8: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I have a very soft spot for Stefan. Especially as we learn more about him.

Katyana Agreed, I really like Stefan a lot.

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I have a soft spot for any character that likes Scooby Doo. I have fond memories of Saturday morning watching that show.

Katyana Me too!

"And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those darn kids!" >.<

Until the unfortunate addition of Scrappy, Scooby Doo ruled.

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I didn't get Scrappy Doo, but he did become an evil character in those Freddie Prinze Scooby Doo movies.

I never got Scooby Dum. Why mess with a good thing?

message 13: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I agree. They should have nipped that in the bud. Those characters ruined a good thing.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh neat!! loves it!

Greta is Erikasbuddy I just put in my request at my library. Did you just go squee? LOLZ!

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Squee! I like how Briggs does werewolves.

Ronyell Great review AH!!! I loved the Scooby Doo reference too since I'm a huge fan of Scooby Doo!!

message 18: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks, Ronyell. Scooby Doo is just one of my favorite cartoon characters ever!

Ronyell Mine too!!