Laura's Reviews > Every Little Thing in the World

Every Little Thing in the World by Nina de Gramont

Apr 20, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, young-adult
Read from April 19 to 20, 2010

Sydney, 16, gets pregnant and is sent away for the summer on a canoeing trip. The whole book is about Syd trying to decide what to do with her baby.

I had hope for this book. I thought Syd would do the right thing. I am deeply disturbed by this book. I feel shaken and fragile.

After she has an abortion the author writes; "We were like babies, safe somehow in the forest. We were the newest creatures on Earth, with nothing to do but move forward into the world, starting fresh."(p.272)I can't get this passage out of my head; it makes me wants to throw up. Here are these teenagers playing like adults and yet she still sees herself as a baby. What about the baby inside of her that could have turned into a girl just like her. The baby is newer than her, who has no power over its self; it should have a chance to start a new. Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions?

God has given us a conscious to know when something we are doing is wrong. If so many women have to deal with a pregnancy and the option to abort it, why do it anyway? When it feels so wrong? The bible says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Found in Psalms). God talks about knowing us before we were even in our mothers’ womb. I don’t see how aborting a baby could ever be justifiable.
I’m going to go throw up now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Little Thing in the World.

04/19/2010 page 131

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Spoiler alert.

Caitlin I agree wholeheartedly. That line made me want to vomit.