Emily Ann Meyer's Reviews > Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know about Them

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman

Mar 28, 10

bookshelves: religion, history, 2010
Read from March 23 to 28, 2010

This book filled in a lot of the gaps that I had originally complained about in my review of Misquoting Jesus and to that end, it was a FABULOUS read.

I had a foundation in some of the things that Ehrman raised, thanks to an outstanding undergraduate education, but he went into much greater depth there and some of the examples raised were downright laughable when presented as they were. (Jesus' short attention span).

I also really appreciated learning that some of the epistles attributed to Paul actually weren't written by him (something that I either hadn't been taught or had forgotten)--in particular in the case of some of the more misogynistic writings. That was a fabulous breath of fresh air.

My only complaint stems from the parts of the book that diverge from Ehrman's original thesis and instead get more into his own agnosticism and opinion. On the one hand, this feels like a necessary disclaimer--an attempt to present his own point of view and potential biases so as to defend against any criticisms that those who feel "threatened" by the idea that the Bible is neither inerrant nor the divine word of God might raise. On the other, it tended to distract a bit from the rest of the text.

That said, I enjoyed this book a great deal more than "Misquoting Jesus," and this is enough to convince me to read a bit more of what Ehrman's written.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, Interrupted.

03/23/2010 page 11
3.62% "Fabulous! Read the preface & started Ch.1 (a must read) and am likely to zip thru a lot more on the train home (if I don't take notes)"

Kenny Bell PLEASE READ* Does Bart Erhman provide the resources or evidence to where he claims "We don't have the original bible" and "we dont know who wrote the bible"? He just says this thing without pointing readers where to look this up. And it was also weird to me that if we dont have the original bible then what did they use to translate to English?