Lori's Reviews > Cromartie V. the God Shiva

Cromartie V. the God Shiva by Rumer Godden

Aug 22, 10

bookshelves: travel-the-world, read-in-2010
Recommended for: anyone who has interested in India and its culture
Read from June 22 to July 30, 2010

Rumer Godden is one of my all-time favorite authors so I was thrilled when I found a library with this volume which I hadn't read yet. I must say that I didn't enjoy much of this book as I had anticipated I would. I think that was mostly because it was a busy, busy season for me that left little time to read and catching only a page and a half before my eyes begin to cross at night didn't allow me to really delve into the book like I should have, especially one with setting like this one - at a resort on the Indian coast. When I finally had the opportunity to sit down and actually read more than a few paragraphs at a time as I was about 3/4 the way through, I began to enjoy it more. I don't feel this was a problem with the author as with me during that time. Rumer Godden can tell a beautiful tale of India with an incredible sense of place, rightly so since she grew up there. Her obvious love for the country and its people juxtaposed against the colonial class system always proves for interesting reading. I think I may have just picked the wrong time to read this one to get the most from it.

We were studying India at the time with my youngest and I always like to supplement our studies with my own reading to help me gain more perspective and this did that. This delved into the world of Indian politics and elections and the entire process was at the same time fascinating and unimaginable far-fetched from the westerner's perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cromartie V. the God Shiva.