Eleni ( La Femme Readers )'s Reviews > Nightshade

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nov 20, 10

Read from November 03 to 17, 2010

My rating: 3.5

Andrea's Nightshade world of spiraling events created a start to a potentially riveting werewolf trilogy. Throughout the novel I was presented with a radically distinct theme of love, loyalty and betrayal. However, I was also at a crossroad of shortcomings. Calla, the alpha female of the Nightshade pack was an unswerving leader with brave instincts. Her destiny was to mate with Ren, the leader of the Bane pack. Ren's drool-worthy ability tingled my core and made me wish I was in Calla's shoes for a day. Unfortunately, the human boy she saved in the woods, turned out to be her missing love piece. Her relationship bloomed unexpectedly with Shay and ignited forbidden behavior against the rules.

I know Shay is a popular character among readers, however with my taste, he didn't seem that special. I prefer Ren's confident and smooth demeanor over Shay's quiet approach. Nightshade had its high points but regrettably surfaced with flaws as well. Personally, the whole plot around the Guardians, Keepers and Searchers was confusing. With an unclear deliverance in the beginning, it luckily started coming together once the true meaning behind the groups were unveiled. On top of that, I felt Calla took a backseat in the story. Being a strong alpha, I would have liked to see her take charge of situations instead of submitting to the low female ranks of power.

Also, a specific scene that took place in a cave with Calla and Shay annoyed me. It was such a profound moment of change which lacked the fear and realism I was expecting. I don't want to give too much away, but I'm sure Nightshade readers know what I mean. Most of the characters were diverse, but I never really got to know them. Most likely, the next installments will give others time to shine. By the end of the novel, I was yet again impressed by Ren's actions and hope to see more of him in the sequel. Calla's future is unknown and I'm anticipating that Wolfsbane will win me over with an action packed war for the life she longed for. All in all, Andrea has written a virtually stimulating series which I'm sure will grow into a pleasurable trilogy. With her creativity and detailed skills, anything is possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightshade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juli D. (new)

Juli D. This one looks very good.

Ella Preuss I'm jealous!

Eleni ( La Femme Readers ) Don't be Ella, it's out in stores. :) Let's see if I like it though hehe.

Michelle Madow Loved this book!

Michelle Madow I like Ren better than Shay, too. I hope she ends up with him, but I don't think the author is going in that direction.