Wendy's Reviews > Hard to Hold

Hard to Hold by Stephanie Tyler

Apr 04, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, hot-military-characters, navy-seals-included, part-of-a-series
Read from April 03 to 04, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I found this book to be a little less than I had expected. It got a great start, but I kept getting lost because of the writer jumping around with the topic or scenes. I thought it could have been so much more.

Jake is a navy seal sent into Africa to save a woman that has been kidnapped by her bodyguard because she is the daughter of a Senator. When they find her she has been beaten and raped. She is badly wounded and may not make it. While one of the Seal's goes to find transportation Jake and the victim connect psychically and psychologically.

Dr. Isabelle Markham went to Africa to help people. She is there with Doctors without Boarders. When her mother gets threats she has a bodyguard assigned to Isabelle. By the time the Seals find her she is close to death. Jake becomes her lifeline and is the only thing holding her together mentally after the attack. They share secrets and intimacy. When she wakes up in the hospital Jake isn't there, but she try's to move on with her life, being told that her kidnapper was captured. Now she is stationed on a Naval Base for the next three months. She finds Jake on Base and wants to Thank him for saving her, but also wants to see if the connection that they had in Africa is real or imagined.

Jake and Isabelle try to work through their differences, but when her godfather, an Admiral, assigns Jake to protect Isabelle from the kidnapper and not tell her of the danger, he agrees reluctantly.

This is where the story became confused at times and though ST had created some good characters she lost some of the momentum by switching story lines and not writing conversation clearly.

Of coarse Isabelle and Jake work through their issues and find each other, and the side story's are good enough. I'll probably read the other two in the series just to see what happens to everyone. But there just wasn't magic here, so I give this one 3 out of 5 stars.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard to Hold.

04/03/2010 page 40
show 1 hidden update…

Miss Kim I commend you for finishing this one. It was my first DNF in a while. I kept feeling like I was forcing myself to understand what was happening, and what is the fun in that?