Sarah's Reviews > Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit

Moribito by Nahoko Uehashi

F_50x66
Mar 22, 10

I thought this book was really good. I was a little hard to get into at first because I kept forgetting the character's names and had to keep looking them up in the back of the book. At first I was unsure if I would like this type of book since you had to use your imagination to let yourself believe that the things in the book were really happening. Once I let go of my disbelief I truly enjoyed the book. I like how the main character, Balsa, was a woman. People do not usually think of women as fighters and it was interesting to see her be as good as, if not better than, the men in the book.
I also liked how Chagum grew to love and respect Balsa. He went from being a child who had everything handed to him to one that began to appreciate everything he had. He even opened up his mind to realize that what he had been taught might actually be wrong. I thought this was a turning point for him since he had always believed everything everyone told him about the great defeat over the egg eater but once he had the egg inside he began to believe the true stories of what happened to the egg eater hundreds of years ago. Once he realized this he and the other warriors and star reader were able to determine a way to defeat the egg eater.
I think this book would be good to use in the classroom since it allows children to go beyond the real world and leap into a whole other world that they can only experience through reading. This book will help get kids interested in reading since they will see how books can let their imagination take them anywhere they want to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moribito.