Sab H. (YA Bliss)'s Reviews > Throne of Glass

Aug 18, 2012

bookshelves: high-fantasy, own, own-arc, txla12
Recommended for: Kristin Cashore fans, Cinda Williams Chima fans
Read from April 30 to May 15, 2012

Where to begin? I'll start with what worked for me. I'm a sucker for this kind of romance. The estranged kind that neither one of them wants to accept, but that's so obvious for the reader. The frustrating kind that has you on the edge because they interact often, have little teasing moments and then it's suddenly over. That was basically my favorite part of the story. Despite the fact that I'm aabout to tell you all the things I had issues with, I REALLY liked this book. I was engrossed most of the time and I fell for the male protag which is essential for me to enjoy a romance.

The writing was good, the storytelling captivated me more than once and the plot was mostly intriguing. Celeana was supposed to be my type of character too. Female kick-ass heroine. The most talked-about and feared assassin of the Kingdom. If only she would match the description. We get a lot of what she did and how scared people should be to even just hear her name. But what we get is a softened version of the character described. I would have loved to see more of that no-shit attitude she had in the first chapter.

Then there's the alternating POVs. To be honest, it really bugged me that I suddenly had to read from a random character's pov in the middle of the story. I don't think much would've been lost if it had been in Celeana's narration only. Lastly, the whole magic thing has me a bit unsure of how it fits in the story. I would wish away that part too.

I realized after writing this that my rating probably doesn't match my review. I guess a good romance kind of knocks out the rest in a way (for me). At least enjoyment-wise. So, if that's one of the most important parts of your reading experience, this is definitely for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

05/02/2012 page 158
38.0% "Ha. Awesome "romance" I know where I want this to go for sure!"
05/09/2012 page 270
05/15/2012 page 371
89.0% "Oh, F**k!!! Now what? *sobs*"

Amber Sooooooooo are you liking it?!

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) pfffff of course!

Jennifer Davis I felt the EXACT same way!

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) Isn't it weird? I felt I loved the book but then I find so many glitches. But.. Oh, Chaol. I hope there is a sh*tload of Chaol in the next installment! :P

Jennifer Davis I agree! When I finished reading it, I thought it could have been soooo much better without the magical element. I wanted more of her fighting. I wanted to "see" her being an assassin. I loved her involvement with both of the guys and I can't wait to see her relationship develop with Chaol. Oh, and there were several time when it shifted perspectives and threw me off. I had to go back and reread because I thought it was from one perspective and it was from another. That bugged me. But, with all its flaws, it was a fun read!

Sab H.  (YA Bliss) I completely agree!