Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

May 28, 11

bookshelves: i-want-to-have-babies-with-the-book
Read from November 11 to 17, 2010

At first I had no interest in reading Feed. The reason was because of my bias against the author.

For those who aren’t aware, Mira Grant also writes under Seanan McGuire, who writes the popular October Daye series. When I first read, Rosemary and Rue, I was less than pleased, and because of that, when Feed was published back in May, I didn’t even take a second glance at the book. But then Thea from The Book Smugglers reviewed Feed, and when I went to NYC Comic Con and met Mira/Seanan, who was absolutely lovely and wonderful to me, knowing my harsh opinion about Rosemary and Rue. She was a total doll and was so excited to have met me. I was embarrassed to say the least, because of my review of Rosemary and Rue. But she graciously signed Feed and gave me a copy, smiling the entire time.

A week or so later I started reading and Feed and was blown away. Fan-freaken-tastic doesn’t even cover what type of book Feed is. Feed is not just a take on the zombie apocalypse myth, but a political thriller. Feed is a hybrid of the movies, 12 Monkeys, 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead. This is also Mira’s ode to bloggers and the freedom of the press. Set during the American presidential primaries in the distant future, this is a political narrative on society and humanity, where the landscape isn’t as bleak as it sees.

Feed takes place in 2039, 25 years after the events where cancer and the flu have been eradicated. (For some reason there isn’t a mention of HIV or AIDS being cured, which I assume has been as well). Because scientists were able to create a vaccine against the common cold, they foresee that mixing the two viral strains together would cause an infection of mass destruction. This virus called Kellis-Amberlee (which is explained in great detail throughout the novel), turn humans and large mammals into mindless, flesh eating zombies we have come to recognize in books and movies. Humanity has found a way to survive, and through science and technology, the citizens of the Unites States, including other countries live safely most of the time, but must always be aware of the dangers surrounding them.

Georgia Mason, along with her brother Shaun, are bloggers who are in all ways news reporters.

Mainstream media is no long trustworthy, based on their coverage of the initial zombie attack, and because of that, bloggers have risen up and taken over. Along with Buffy, their lead camera and video tech, they do their best to report the world around them. And all their hard work has paid off because the Mason siblings have been invited to be the exclusive bloggers and cover Senator Ryman’s road to the White House during the primaries. They go on the campaign trail with him and try to uncover if the man in the public eye with all his promises of hope, is the same man in private.

Georgia thinks this will be pretty easy going, that is until an enemy of Ryman’s attacks him where it hurts. Not only does this shadowy villain use the killer zombies as weapons, but there also maybe something more unsettling going on that could unleash another apocalypse and ruin mankind forever. It’s up to Georgia, Shaun and Buffy to find the truth knowing they could become collateral damage themselves.

Mira’s world building in Feed is bar none, one of the best I’ve ever read. Every detail mentioned is very intricate, as if you were reading a very researched newspaper article. Many would say this is just another zombie horror novel. How very mistaken they are. The zombies are used as a catalyst to propel this story in ways you would never expect. The zombies are more background noise if anything, and when all is said and done, not an integral part of the story. What is very important is the character of Georgia and her view of things. She is the heart and soul of Feed, but yet, as a reader, you aren’t allowed to really connect with her on a personal level. This may irk some readers, but it makes sense since Georgia is more of an observer, a reporter who jots down everything she sees and leaves it up to the audience to decide what’s right and wrong. Only when she interacts with her brother Shaun, and in some ways with Ryman, does she step outside that impersonal box she has built around herself. And I can’t help but see Georgia as an asexual character. Her sole purpose is to report the news where she has no other desires. Food, sleep and sexual urges are non-existent when it comes to Georgia.

There are some sly moments of humor as well. A perfect example of this is the names of our main characters. There’s also great commentary on pop culture in general, as well as current events ranging from politics and most importantly terrorism. Because Georgia and Shaun are so involved in their work, their relationships with their parents and others are very strained. At one point, these two almost end up dying, and yet there is no mention of their parents rushing to their side or even contacting them.
There came a point where the tension and drama was so thick and intense. Mira ups it up a notch and does something so unbelievable shocking. It’s her way of grabbing the reader by the throat and shaking them. When I read this, I had to put down Feed and take a few breaths and mourn over the loss I just read. This was the punch to the gut Mira needed to do in order to make Feed shine. The outcome of this event will leave you speechless.

The best possible compliment I can give this book and the writing talents of Mira Grant, is that if Edward R, Murrow, one of the greatest American broadcast journalists was still alive, he would embrace Feed for its message. George Romero, the godfather of the zombie apocalypse, would stand up and cheer. Feed is, hands down, one of the best zombie stories I’ve ever read, behind George Matheson’s, I am Legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

11/15/2010 page 300
52.0% "One of the best books I've red all year, and it's not a romance! Amazing." 1 comment
11/16/2010 page 400
70.0% "a character acts in a manner that is not believable to further along the story. Maybe bring down my grade. But still loving the read."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie I loved Feed too. It is one of the best books I read this year. Thanks for the review!