karen's Reviews > Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Mar 22, 10

bookshelves: it-is-for-class

hilary mantel is such a tease. she calls her book wolf hall because she knows i have a crush on jane seymour, and then she just blah blah blahs about thomas cromwell for 500 pages, feeding me only tiny bites of jane. sigh. me and hil have always had a rocky history.i have read four of her books now, and have only really liked one; beyond black. but i keep trying. this one was for class, but i probably would have read it anyway, because this summer i read a nice fat bio of henry VIII and really enjoyed a lot of "characters" in his court. but it is so frustrating, reading historical fiction or biographies. this is only my third tudor book (because, yes, i totally read the other boleyn girl), and the malleability of history and the filters through which authors present these people is terribly inconsistent, depending on their own prejudices. i loved chupuys in the weir book, but here he is so foppish and weird - like a less fuckable david bowie in labyrinth. sometimes mary boleyn is a victim, sometimes she is cold and calculating, sometimes she is just a party girl depending on who is telling me the story. damn apologists. there were sections of writing i loved here, but most of it was flat, to me.i thought the opening was great, and the last 60 pages or so were fairly rollicking, but for some reason much of the middle seemed arid, but peppered with episodes i loved. i am glad that i read it, and a lot of my resistance may have just been my poor fever-riddled brain's inability to concentrate for any reasonable period of time, but i'm not swayed to mantelmania just yet. try try again.

addition: can someone help me with this, because i am getting conflicting opinions from people i trust equally. please tell me how to pronounce "chupuys". one smart person said it was pronounced "cha-pwah", and another smart person made it rhyme with "pepys". fix this rift for me please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf Hall.

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Karen wrote: "...malleability of history and the filters through which authors present these people is terribly inconsistent, depending on their own prejudices.

Nerd.

karen shut up - i am hopped up on strong irish tea, vicks daytime and dayquil. my hands are shaking like an addict.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Oh noes! Don't tell me you're not going to be able to see Tim O'Brien tonight. How will I get my book??!?!

alsosorryyou'resickandIhopeyoufeelbetter

karen oh, darlin', would i leave you in the lurch?? i don't work on mondays, ever. but i have made arrangments with our events coordinators to get you your book, and one for bill thompson.

i keep my word.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Jane Seymour is super hot, even still, despite being in her autumn years. I watched a lot of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman as a wee one. Did you know that the Radiohead album OK Computer was recorded in her mansion? True fact.

Oh, Dr. Quinn! Do you make house calls?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Chevy Chase?!? This isn't right.

[image error]

message 7: by Miriam (new)

Miriam With an anglicized French name it could have all sorts of pronunciations.

karen groan - i demand consistency!

and also more pictures from teevee shows i have never watched...

and where is my "special nude pictorial of the rich sexy and powerful men of wall street", please... whenever i am in that part of town, that is all i am thinking - why can't i see these men nuuuuuude?

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio karen wrote: "groan - i demand consistency!"

Huh?

karen in pronunciation. nothing to do with you.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Good review, and Greg is right, that sentence gave you full nerd status.

karen come on! just because it is halfway articulate, in contrast to my usual gibberish/cursewording

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen karen wrote: "come on! just because it is halfway articulate, in contrast to my usual gibberish/cursewording"

karen just cuz youuuuu don't like it...

message 15: by Greg (new)

Greg Did Chevy Chase pose nude in Playgirl? I find the thought very frightening.

message 16: by Stephen (new)

Stephen I liked that sentence a lot, it was informed and educated, ergo, nerd.

karen i want me some nood chevy.

message 18: by Stephen (new)

Stephen i'd like to see his legs. nothing else.

message 19: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Besides, that is an old edition.

message 20: by Greg (new)

Greg googling "chevy chase" nude brings up lots of naked girls, but no nude Chevy.

Instead, this might be better:

Goose!!! I'm sure all of your Canadian friends have already seen this, Karen.

karen goose!

message 22: by Greg (new)

Greg [image error]

karen at least he is pissing in something, not just all over the ground. classy.

message 24: by Greg (new)

Greg Unfortunately he's not really pissing, I watched the video and he's just hamming it up for the Pap, he only stands like that for about a second.

For a minute I thought the internet would be the most magical thing ever, producing a video of Chevy Chase peeing in a garbage can, but then it failed me as mere hype...

karen worst news ever.

karen i bet mfso could find it though.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Greg wrote: "Did Chevy Chase pose nude in Playgirl? I find the thought very frightening."

I don't know. Ditto. But damn, Jane Seymour is hotttt.

karen your taste is all over the place (says the girl whose first crush was on a fish)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Undeniably, universally attractive.

Just sayin'.

A fish?? Hahahaha! Do go on.

karen nah, we won't compete over her. she is kinda horsey to me. although i really like her dress in the third picture.

message 31: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I have to agree with MFSO, she's waaaay hotter than any fish I've ever met!

karen even a fish in a uniform?

message 33: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Mar 24, 2010 10:15AM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Horsey? Shelley Duvall and Jerry Seinfeld are horsey, not Dr. Quinn.

And yes, of course, a fish in a firefighter's or WWI-era German military uniform is on my list of Top Ten Turn-Ons.

karen my heart belongs to one fish and one fish only.

(although i cried when my first fish, lobo-splotch, died.)

message 35: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Lobo-Splotch? No wonder it died. Fish died of shame!

karen he had what looked like a lobotomy scar on his little fish head. and i was thirteen. suck it.

message 37: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I had the same goldfish for 16 years and loved him dearly. But not in That Way.

karen and what did i tell you about thread-citizenship??
harrumph.

message 39: by Stephen (new)

Stephen don't get uppity frenchy.

message 40: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Mar 24, 2010 12:04PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I had this Chinese Fighting Fish (or something like that) when I was really little and I remember this time that my mom was cleaning the fish bowl and the fish fell out into the sink's drain and my dad carefully, almost surgically, removed the fish with salad tongs from where it lay atop the garbage disposal blades, heroically saving its life. Fond memory of the old man.

karen ilu stephen!! mwah!

mfso - that is a great tale. really.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

karen wrote: "groan - i demand consistency!

and also more pictures from teevee shows i have never watched...

I thought I was the only one. And oddly, I do know where there are some pics...

karen david wants to know "what's up with gigglepeppers?"
he enjoys your name and wants its origin.
i did not know.
i said it's prolly a brit thing.

karen so that's your answer?
cromwell was taken?

message 45: by Jed (new)

Jed I just listened to the excellent audio version, where it was pronounced "Che-pwe."

karen thank you!!!!
so much.

message 47: by Jed (new)

Jed You're welcome.

message 48: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I always thought it was "chap-wiss" maybe I am wrong but thats how i read it.

Susan 'Chaphuys' is pronounced like 'chap' but with the initial sound being a fricative as in 'sly', /shæp/, and then the 'huys' part is like 'piece' but with the initial sound being a 'w'.

karen THANK you!