Laurel Osterkamp's Reviews > The Baker's Apprentice

The Baker's Apprentice by Judi Hendricks

Nov 25, 2007

liked it

The Baker’s Apprentice, by Judith Ryan Hendricks, is the sequel to Bread Alone, which is the story of a woman named Wynter, who moves to Seattle after her marriage with a Los Angeles hotshot ends. In the Pacific Northwest she finds happiness through simplicity, and that includes baking bread professionally and finding love with a free-spirited guy who delivers firewood.
In The Baker’s Apprentice, Wynter is presented with a whole new set of problems. Her love interest, Mac, can’t open up or commit, her bakery is going under, and a young girl she works with is simultaneously pushing her away and clinging to her in a time of tragedy. Wynter has to decide what she is willing to put up with and whether her needs and desires outweigh her pride.
I was excited to read The Baker’s Apprentice because I loved Bread Alone. Hendrick’s descriptions of Seattle and bread baking were at once earthy and glamorous, and I really enjoyed reading about Wynter’s change in life style and her European way of doing things. There’s more of that in The Baker’s Apprentice, and Hendricks does a good job of writing about real-life situations. Mac is focused on more in this book, and his perspective is told with such compassion that even though I started the book not liking him a lot, by the end I was rooting for him 100%.
However, this book is sort of like part 2 of Back to the Future – not as good as part 1, and a clear set-up for part 3, with its completely unresolved ending. I found that frustrating, especially since I endured some slightly boring parts of this book in order to reach what I thought would be a payout at the end.
But I’m sure I’ll be reading part 3 despite it all.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baker's Apprentice.