Deanna's Reviews > Many Waters

Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle

Apr 10, 10

bookshelves: science

I started reading this out loud to my boys, but after a chapter I quickly realized that that was not going to work. This book, much to my surprise, was an adult book.

In this book the Murray twins get transported back in time to the days of Noah right before the flood. The daughters of men are cavorting with the nephilum and it is quite descriptive! These "experienced" (they actually say some other words) girls come after our Murray twins and it gets a little racy. Also the people are all 4 feet tall and they only wear loin cloths. Each time the Murray twins get to see these lovely girls they only have bottoms on and the author describes nearly every time that top half for us.

Included in the cast of characters are nephilum, seraphims, manticores, unicorns and pet mammoths the size of small dogs. Also Noah is a jerk for the first half of the book, two of his sons are not that bright, one of his daughter in laws is half nephilum, an amazingly Noah got the ark built in less than 3 moons, and he sent Japheth and his wife to go tell the people one time that the rains were coming. The author referred to the Bible as a chauvinistic account multiple times. I could go on and on about the doctrinal issues that were completely skewed.

I was disappointed in this book because it lacked the great and deep thinking that accompanied the first three "Wrinkle in Time" books. Even though in was an interesting book, I certainly didn't hate it, I still found no value in it and it will not sit on my shelf.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Many Waters.

message 1: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Good to know. Thank you so much for this review as I am in the process of reading the rest of the books in the series. Due to your comments I probably will not take the time to read this one just yet. :)

message 2: by Kayti (new)

Kayti So funny that I really enjoyed this book back in H.S. At that time I really didn't have the sense to critique the doctrine or to critically analyze it. Just a nice interesting story with a bit of an edge. What more could a non-educated HSer want?