James's Reviews > All Tomorrow's Parties

All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson

M 50x66
Apr 05, 10

Read from March 22 to April 05, 2010

My friends have been telling me for years how great Gibson is and, when I came across a free copy of this book, I let it sit on my shelf for 5 years before diving in a few weeks ago.

I was surpised by the low ratings on this site, but after 60 pages, I too was let down. Seemed to be a by the numbers sci-fi/cyberpunk book, even though it was written in 1999 and some of the ideas were certainly ahead of their time (although some seem antiquated or at least very familiar in 2010, such as wireless Iphone type devices).

However, the futuristic world he has created is quite interesing and realisitic (I like the squatter community on the Bay Bridge) and the plot, while not mind blowing, picks up pace and gets interesting, while the characters also manage to mostly grow beyond their stereotypes and be engaging.

Finally, I thought the end was suprisingly satisfying. What seems lame in the beginning of the book, the fact that events are leading up to some unammed event that the reader cannot decypher from the given clues, actually turns out well, makes sense, and is a neat and nearly mindlowing idea.

So, if you like cyberpunk, I doubt this book will let you down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Tomorrow's Parties.