Marc Kozak's Reviews > The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

Feb 25, 13

Read from February 15 to 24, 2013

This was a very clever, very British novel about a detective trying to save the world from the perils of dangerous anarchists. It was at times a rollicking adventure tale, a detective mystery, and a surrealist crazyfest, often all at the same time. The surreal aspects really take off towards the end, where there is a shocking twist that I won't spoil, but if you do read this, I highly suggest taking careful consideration of the title page, where there is a big, raging clue.

I found myself laughing at points because of the British-ness. The first few pages were full of technically great prose and hilariously stuffy dialogue. There were multiple descriptions of the sun, and hills, and the sun coming over the hills. Duels were had, men were offended at everything, and much was made about hats and coats. Britain!!!

It was a quick and enjoyable read that sadly fell apart after the big twist at the end, but still worth it if you're looking for a spot of fun.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man Who Was Thursday.