Alicia's Reviews > The Fiery Cross

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon

F_50x66
Apr 21, 10

Read from April 19 to 21, 2010

I really respect the research and what I believe to be the historical accuracy of these books. However, "The Fiery Cross" reads more like a series of short stories rather than one novel. My attention to the story waned in many places and I wanted to hurry and finish this book so that I could get to "A Breath of Snow and Ashes."

Jamie and Claire's story is still captivating. Roger and Brianna...well, I'm not sure why he goes through so much trouble. Brianna can pitch a fit faster than just about any other literary character in history. Very, very short fuse that one. I'd like to see Roger assert himself more in their relationship. For instance, they both agree to practice birth control when they first get married. Then, Brianna, without even discussing it with Roger, starts trying to get pregnant. Why is it that she feels free to make that decision by herself? Not a very 20th century relationship if she's in charge of making the life changing decisions. Mmph.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fiery Cross.

04/19/2010 page 400

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by CaliGirlRae (new) - added it

CaliGirlRae Brianna quickly grew to be such an annoying character. :-/ I thought she was okay in 'Dragonfly' but the way she treats Roger sometimes is just criminal.

You are a brave soul for reading this one Alicia. I heard it was a toughie because of how slow it was.

Alicia Rae wrote: "Brianna quickly grew to be such an annoying character. :-/ I thought she was okay in 'Dragonfly' but the way she treats Roger sometimes is just criminal.

You are a brave soul for reading this one ..."

I dunno if I'm "brave" or just dedicated to my task of finishing the series. It took me so long to get into the first book in the series that I now feel like on some sort of a mission. I do admit to being in love with Jaime, though. He's a hothead to be sure, but I don't think I've ever believed a character to take such good care of "his woman." And it's nice to read of two lead characters who truly deserve the love of the other.

message 3: by CaliGirlRae (new) - added it

CaliGirlRae Hear hear. I love that compassion and dedication between Claire and Jamie in this series. And Jamie...whoa. He is just too irresistible indeedy!