Kim's Reviews > Pride & Prejudice

Pride & Prejudice by Nancy Butler

Apr 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels, austen-influenced, historical-fiction, pride-and-prejudice-influenced
Read on April 01, 2010

I had heard about Marvel's graphic novel version of Pride and Prejudice on a Jane Austen message board and decided I'd try it out. P&P is my favorite novel so why not. Upon getting the book I instantly delved into reading it and was surprised. Both pleasantly and unpleasantly. The unpleasant part was how comic book it felt. Yes I know Marvel designed it so it's not surprising that it felt like that. It was just odd to see Jane Austen's elegant text put to pictures that sometimes didn't seem to fit. As I was reading I felt like Lizzie's face changed all the time. Not changed like her emotions changed, but that it was a different character. Not sure - it could just be me! The pleasant part about the book was that they stayed fairly true to the original text. Obviously some things had to be cut/shortened but the dialogue is pretty true to Austen's writing. I was exceedingly thrilled about that because honestly Austen was an amazing writer. It's why we still read her books today!

All in all if you're looking for a fun read and want to revisit P&P but don't have the time to read the whole novel again, pull up a chair and read this version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pride & Prejudice.