Mohamed's Reviews > Homeboyz

Homeboyz by Alan Sitomer

M_50x66
Mar 22, 10

Read in December, 1910

I think that in life, during bad times, people depend on each other to help them get through their problems. I think that not only do people need someone to open up to, to get their bottled feeling out to, but I think that people need someone who understands them, and can relate to their problems.

In the book Homeboyz, by Alan Lawrence Sitomer, the main character, Teddy, must do community service during his probation being arrested for attempted homicide, trying to find his sister’s killer, and plot revenge against them. As part of Teddy’s community service, his probation officer has him spend some time with a young boy named Micah, who has terrible grades, and is predicted to end up joining a gang and end up dead on the streets. Teddy’s probation officer, Officer Diaz, thinks that Teddy can persuade Micah to get his grades up, and actually accomplish something throughout his life. Since Micah lives in a foster home, where he gets very little food and clothes, Diaz must have thought that Micah can depend on Teddy to help him throughout his life. I think that Diaz also thought that Teddy can depend on Micah, since Teddy’s little sister was the only person that understood him, and she was now dead.

The book really emphasizes how people need each other throughout life. Teddy needs his little sister, but she died, so he needs someone to help him get through his life. Micah’s parents are dead, and he lives in a neighborhood full of gang activity, and he will probably resort to the gangs to help him through his problems, unaware that the gang leaders will just be using him to do their dirty work. Also, ever since Tina, Teddy’s sister, died, Teddy’s parents have been deeply depressed, and his mother spends most of her time alone in her room. But ever since Teddy has been spending time with Micah, and Micah started coming over to Teddy’s house, Teddy’s parents seemed as happy as ever since Tina’s death. Teddy’s family had lost Tina, who was a person they could all depend on, and now Micah was the one they could depend on, and open up to.

In the end of the book, Teddy’s family ended up adopting Micah, which just proves how they depend on each other. Micah was depending on them to be a loving family, and the Anderson’s were depending on Micah to be a good son, and someone they could open up to, instead of Tina.

After reading this book, I realized that people need each other more than I thought they did, and that having someone that you can depend on is essential. I would rate this book an 8 out of 10, because it emphasized a very important point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Homeboyz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mr (last edited Mar 22, 2010 05:55PM) (new)

Mr Nguyen Yo, Mo, you do a great job by writing about one of the most significant themes in the book, how people depend on others, and by demonstrating your idea with examples in the book. I'd also like to note that your response is proofread impecabbly, your ideas well organized, and your examples detailed. If there is anything I'm wondering, it is your personal thoughts about the book and the idea of depending on others. What are your thoughts and opinions? Do you connect with the characters or story in any way?