Ülle's Reviews > Needful Things

Mar 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read from March 22 to December 19, 2010

This was my first Stephen King novel and because of that, I had high expectations for this book but the story as a whole did not completely live up to it. While it was indeed fast-paced I found myself skipping some pages during the latter half of the book because at one point it just seemed there were too many characters and sub-plots to follow and keeping track of all of them was often frustrating. This is definitely not a book you can read with week-long breaks, because you will just forget the mix of colorful characters of which only a handful I found were actually likable and complex. Maybe that was the point of the story - that everyone has a price and if you find the right switch, everyone can be turned into a vengeful, angry murderer. Although I did like the beginning and the very end and the main idea of the story itself, I think that this story would work much-much better as a TV mini-series than as a book, also because of the writing style etc. But as a book, I feel that this 500+ paged story could have been easily told with much less words. Too many characters, subplots and details in one story isn't always a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Needful Things.