bookczuk's Reviews > Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral

Mar 23, 10

bookshelves: bookcrossing, great-title, skim-read-til-the-end
Recommended to bookczuk by: harper415sc
Read from March 21 to 23, 2010

Recommended with hesitancy by harper415sc, who I think was worried that the death and funeral aspect would be to much for me. But when the story has things like a character clad in hiking shorts, a T-shirt that says, Why eat when you can read? a baseball hat and a pair of red, high-topped sneakers, I figured I'd keep reading. After all, I am travelling the path of the memory of Bumma's Marvelous Life Journey. Two memorials, (one at a Jazz festival and one at the beach) and the sharing of memories and bits of her possessions and books with her friends world wide.

We did the fabulous funeral bit in a celebration of life before she died -- over 1000 people worldwide sending her notes and thoughts and love that would normally be expressed at a funeral or memorial. And her ashes were divided so that they could, at her behest, be scattered several places. Plus when she was cremated, roses from my fathers funeral were cremated with her, along with rosemary (for remembrance) from our yard. She was fabulous in life and remains fabulous in death. So, though there were no red sneakers (there were lime green ones) I've lived a true life version of this book.

I love the idea of live large and love large. I often don't remember to do that. What I found with this story though, was that the characters all sort of melded together after a while. In their quest for strength and understanding the tale became kind of bogged down and mawkish. I came away with only one other clear thought (besides the quote and the reinforcement of live large, love large) -- that is that I love my friends and my family, but I don't have the strength of ego to impose something like a travelling funeral on them. If they did it, it would need to be discussed, not imposed. There's no one in the world I would do that to. For though these women loved Annie and seemingly got a lot out of it, they sacrificed a great deal to carry out her wishes. I just don't think I have the balls to be that selfish.

I may release this book Thursday, which is my brother's birthday -- the first in my lifetime without him here on earth and just over 6 months from his death. My husband and I have plans for a small remembrance of him and of my mom. His death reminded me to live life fully and freely, to take risks, because even when you think you're safe at home in your own bed, you never know what evil may find you and change your world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral.