PurplyCookie's Reviews > Black Juice

Black Juice by Margo Lanagan

Apr 15, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, short-stories, hated-it
Read from March 21 to April 15, 2010, read count: 1

Based on the book description, I thought this would be a book of short stories delving into different aspects of the human soul and psyche, both dark and light. That is not what I found and certainly not how I would sell this book. While I was impressed with the first story ("Singing My Sister Down"), and the level to which the author managed to draw the reader into the characters in a few short pages, it was the only one that I thought was worth reading. The rest were, for the most part, simplistic, unoriginal, woe-is-me pity the poor people drivel.

"Singing My Sister Down," "House of the Many," and "Earthly Uses" use the death of a character to illustrate the trajectory that grief gives to those who surround those characters. In "Sweet Pippit," a group of elephants break from captivity to rescue the one human who can lead and love them. "Wooden Bride" centers on Matty Weir and her decision to change herself forever by participating in her town's anonymous group marriage ceremony, providing a sly, unconventional commentary on today's consumer-heavy wedding culture. "Red Nose Day" provides a glimpse into the hearts of two assassins who are killing clowns. "Yowlinin" is a story of ostracism and disaster; an outcast girl warns of a plague but is unheeded, with catastrophic results.

I didn't care about the characters, I was mostly bored by the plots, and I wasn't intrigued by the "worlds" the author created. As for this book being an exploration of the darker side of the human spirit, tame is the only word I can use to describe it.

Bottom Line: If you are looking to be intellectually stimulated or even truly entertained, look elsewhere. This collection will fall far short of your expectations.

Book Details:

Title Black Juice
Author Margo Lanagan
Reviewed By Purplycookie
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Juice.

03/24/2010 page 75

dateDown_arrow    newest »

PurplyCookie Thanks for liking my book review, Will! :)