Nic's Reviews > The Sky Is Everywhere

The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Dec 05, 10

bookshelves: favourites, young-adult, 2010, realistic-fiction, swoon-worthy-read
Recommended to Nic by: Nomes
Read from November 28 to 30, 2010 — I own a copy

Favourite Quote: 'I look into his sorrowless eyes and a door in my heart blows open. And when we kiss, I see that on the other side of that door is the sky.'

This review is not going to be like normal because The Sky Is Everywhere is so STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL it hard to get the words out. So I thought I use some pictures to help express my thoughts.

description

The Sky Is Everywhere made my heart ache. The above picture pretty much sums up Lennie's life and also the way it made me feel while reading it. My emotions were all caught up in this story thanks to Jandy Nelson utterly gorgeous writing. All the poems and notes scattered throughout this book really captured the pain Lenny was feeling. But there were also funny and happier moments that warmed my heart as well.

Lennie, I could really empathise with her and feel her pain as she looked for a way to deal with it. I didn't always like her choices but completely understood them and it was wonderful to watch her grow and work towards happiness. This story also has interesting secondary characters that are just as well crafted. You could feel Toby, Gran and Big's pain as you watched each of them deal with their grief differently and Sarah's confusion and hurt as Lennie pushes her away.

description

The romance in this book is that epic, forever, two souls connecting, kind of love. It does happen somewhat fast but it works because of the writing that really expresses how Lennie feels when she is with Joe. And also because of Joe ('quel major dork', 'bat bat bat' - for those of you have read the book it will make sense). He has such a gorgeous soul. And well his passion for music makes it hard not to fall for him. He has found a place with my other literary crushes.

description

I really wished I could have written some more detail and depth to this review to express how I felt but I am hoping these pictures will get across the words I can't. Overall, this book is a story about love, that I fell in love with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sky Is Everywhere.

Quotes Nic Liked

Jandy Nelson
“There were once two sisters
who were not afriad of the dark
because the dark was full of the other's voice
across the room,
because even when the night was thick
and starless
they walked home together from the river
seeing who could last the longest
without turning on her flashlight,
not afraid
because sometimes in the pitch of night
they'd lie on their backs
in the middle of the path
and look up until the stars came back
and when they did,
they'd reach their arms up to touch them
and did.”

Jandy Nelson
“Remember how it was when we kissed? Armfuls and armfuls of light thrown right at us. A rope dropping down from the sky. How can the word love and the word life even fit in the mouth?”

Jandy Nelson
“He murmers into my hair, "Forget what I said earlier, let's stick with this, I might not survive anything more." I laugh. Then he jumps up, finds my wrists, and pins them over my head. "Yeah, right. Totally joking, I want to do everything with you, whenever you're ready, I'm the one, promise?" He's above me, batting and grinning like a total hooplehead.
"I promise," I say.
"Good. Glad that's decided." He raises an eyebrow. "I'm going to deflower you, John Lennon.”

Jandy Nelson
“That's a misconception, Lennie. The sky is everywhere, it begins at your feet.”

11/28/2010 page 98
41.0% "Beautiful :)" 9 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexa I love this book!

Nomes I like your review already :)

Awesome pic

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Ahh thanks Nomes. This pic seems so appropriate for this book. I love this book so much :)

Question, do you know anything about her next book. It doesn't have any details?

~Tina~ Awww, that's a nice picture:)
I'm reading this one soon! Just picked it up at my lib:)

Alexa Ooo I really like that pic. :)

Morgan F Keep the pic when you write the review, please.

message 7: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic It is a pretty pic. I am going to keep it as it goes with what I have to say :)

message 8: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi Beautiful Pic ^^ Love it!

Janelle This is one of the Stand Out books of my reading year :)

~Tina~ Nic, this review is so gorgeous! Well done my dear:)

Janelle Those eyelashes were killing me softly...

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Bat bat bat :)

message 13: by Cait (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cait Love the review and pic :D

message 14: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Thanks Caitlyn. This is one of my favourite books :)

Nicole Hey Nic, any chance that Joe will be a book boyfriend for you sometime? I love seeing your take on all these cute guys! :)

message 16: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Definitely. I just need to find the perfect picture :)

Emily Ohh, that's such a brilliant idea! I would love to see smiling Joe :)

Gabriela Araujo Nic, you described exactly what I felt when I read this book. Truly. Nice to find someone saying the words in my mind.

message 19: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Gabriela wrote: "Nic, you described exactly what I felt when I read this book. Truly. Nice to find someone saying the words in my mind."

Thanks Gabriela :)