Lucy's Reviews > Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852

Journal of Wong Ming-Chung by Laurence Yep

Dec 05, 07

bookshelves: junioryearbookshelf
Read in November, 2007

This book is about a teenager who immigrates from China to America because of the gold rush in California. This is a diary of his experiences in America and before in China. THe protagonist did not want to go to America but his parents made him. Times were so tough back then in AMerica. There was a lot of racial discrimination. Taxes were put on non-American miners to try to force them away. The journey to America was bad too because they cam eon ship which took 3 months. I felt bad for the people who couldn't make it over on the voyage because it was too harse. I feel so lucky to be born in America so i don't have to go through poverty and i have a great education. THe protagonist couldn't get an education even if he wanted too. I'm glad my parents immigrated here, so that i am not in China. In China there is still a lot of places that are poor and i can't imagine how it is like in China. There would be no free education or charities to help you. I'm glad that i didn't have to go through what the protagonist had to.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journal of Wong Ming-Chung.