EL's Reviews > The Magicians and Mrs. Quent

liked it
bookshelves: queer-sci-fi-fantasy
Read in January, 2016

Review from my first read, finished March 21, 2010:
Putting on the queer shelf because one of the three main characters is sort of queer, but mostly repressed and underdeveloped.

The description of the book is more interesting than the book itself, I think: "What if there was a fantastical cause underlying the social constraints and limited choices confronting a heroine in a novel by Jane Austen or Charlotte Brontë? Galen Beckett began writing The Magicians and Mrs. Quent to answer that question."

A good question! But there's very little consideration of gender and partiarchy in the novel; it's really just stale "men's magic" and "women's magic" BS, with women's powers obviously being tied to the earth. The women are slightly better developed than in most fantasy novels, but not much. Ivy is a little too perfect and a little too unrelatable. Her relationships were poorly developed. I wish Eldyn (the queer character) had a book of his own, as he was interesting and didn't seem to quite fit in this one. Overall, I thought it was okay, with several major flaws: disjointed sections, rushed ending, vaguely Austen-ian language that aimed for stylized but came across as stale and predictable. I'll read the sequel if I come across it, but I doubt I'll remember to seek it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians and Mrs. Quent.