Kw Estes's Reviews > Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media

Manufacturing Consent by Noam Chomsky

Apr 10, 10

Read from March 21 to April 10, 2010

This is the first I have ever read of Chomsky's extensive works, and I was very impressed. The institutional approach that he takes to the issues of media self-censorship is appealing and becomes self-evident the more one reads and internalizes. Though it covers somewhat dated events as extended examples, such as coverage of Central America in the 80's and the media's depiction of the Vietnam war, this simply means that it also serves quite well as a historical primer on these goings-on if one is not very familiar with them. This is not something that you sit down and read for pure enjoyment, however. It is a presentation of a highly accurate institutional model and a display of amazing logical disputation on the part of Chomsky and his co-author. Recommended to anyone who would like to delve further into the questioning of what we perceive to be the truth and like matters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manufacturing Consent.